Friday, September 14, 2007

Red Curry Halibut


I made this because I wanted to eat more fish but wanted to do something other than grilling or baking it. So I decided I would try to make curry. It's surprisingly easy to make a respectable curry dish at home. I adapted this from a Food Network recipe. You could also do this dish with chicken and boiled potatoes and cashews for a masaman-style curry. Or you could just not make it all.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger (you can find this in jars in the produce section)
2-3 teaspoons red curry paste - I use Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (it's at most supermarkets in the Asian foods sections)
1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken broth (Depends how much you want to dilute the heat and how thinned out you like your curry)
1/2 cup coconut milk (Not sure on the measurement here - put in a little, simmer it, if it's too spicy add more, it's to your own preference how much you like)
1 pound halibut filets - skin removed and cut into 1-inch pieces.
1/2 cup cilantro - finely chopped
Fresh lime juice to garnish
2 cups cooked basmati rice - use whatever kind of rice you like here.

Heat the oil - this food blog is already a huge pain in the ass by the way - in a large saute pan. Add the garlic and ginger, saute but don't brown the garlic. Add the curry paste, stir for about a minute. Add the chicken broth, turn the heat up, let simmer. Add cocunt milk to desired taste. Salt and Pepper your halibut pieces. Gently add to the sauce. Turn the heat to medium. Let simmer for about 5-6 minutes until cooked through. Stir in cilantro at the end. Plate up, garnish with more fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

2 comments:

Corna said...

I like the food blog idea, pain in the ass or not. James wants to start one but he basically wants me to do it all, including cook, take pictures and write it so you can imagine how that went over. By the way, how was the dish?

Danny K. said...

Oh yeah, the most important part of a food blog - it was good! It's something I will make again, but I think I'll try it with chicken next time.